Tonight in Unpacks: Wimbledon readies for another fortnight with 14 sponsors on board. SBJ’s David Broughton looks at who’s on the sponsor roster this year.
- All the business around the NBA Draft
- Execs join “Strictly Business” for Title IX discussion
- NCAA president search a big win for TurnkeyZRG
- Phil Knight VC creating NFTs celebrating Oregon athletes
- Jake Paul heads back to MSG, Showtime PPV
Miss this morning’s Buzzcast? SBJ’s Abe Madkour looks at MLB opening up the CBD category, Dan Snyder on the defensive, Jay Monahan going on the offensive and the life and business impact of Bruton Smith.
Wimbledon returns next week, and the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Clubthe event’s owner, has 14 “official suppliers” for the 2022 event, notes SBJ’s David Broughton.
Slazenger is the sponsor that receives the most exposure each year, as the UK-based company has been the tennis ball supplier since 1902, the longest partnership in sporting goods history. The company will supply 54,250 balls for this year’s tournament.
similarly, Polo Ralph Lauren‘s products gain significant TV screen exposure, as the company outfits judges, umpires and ball persons with apparel accented in the club’s official colors of purple and green. More behind-the-scenes, Jaguar will supply 179 vehicles for event operations and most of them will be the I-PACE, an all-electric SUV; and Sipsmiththe event’s first official gin, is available on-site.
New to the Wimbledon roster this year is Vodafonewhich took on the connectivity category.
|2022 Wimbledon suppliers/sponsors|
|Jaguar Land Rover||Car||2015|
The NBA Draft is set for tonight from Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Here are some of the business highlights around the event from SBJ basketball writer Eric Prisbell:
- Talent Resources Sportsa platform and service for brands to leverage the social media followings of athletes, has partnered Neiman Marcus with prospects Chet Holmgren, Paolo Banchero and A.J. Griffin as the fashion retail company launches its”Concrete Runwaycampaign.
- The Magic are hosting a draft watch party at Amway Centerwith presenting sponsorship from Socios.com. The Magic are also teaming up with Arcade1UPa leader in at-home retro gaming entertainment, for a special fan giveaway of Arcade1UP’s NBA Jam: Shaq Edition.
SBJ’s Juwan Watson reports Panini America has teamed up with four draft prospects, with each player getting an instant digital card collectible issued the moment they are drafted tonight. SBJ’s Austin Karp reports Bobby Marks has a new multiyear deal to remain an NBA insider for ESPN and he will appear on the network’s coverage of the draft.
SBJ’s Liz Mullen also writes about how Wallace Prather III and Jabari Smith Sr. met 30 years ago when both were teenagers, playing basketball on the AAU basketball team Prather’s father founded, the Atlanta Celtics. Now, three decades later, Prather is representing his friend’s son, Jabari Smith II, in the NBA Draft.
ESPN’s Jay Bilas on “PTI” was asked about the strategy of teams “stockpiling” draft picks, saying it “absolutely” makes sense in today’s NBA. Bilas: “Draft picks are the most valuable thing for gathering assets in the NBA and, frankly, I don’t think It’s close. It’s really hard to get good free agents, certainly at a reasonable price, but if you look at what Golden State has done in building their dynasty, they did it through the draft.” Bilas called Thunder GM Sam Presti “One of the smartest people in the NBA.” Bilas: “It’s been proven over the years that the best way to build a sustainable winner is to do it first through the draft and then you can add to it in free agency.”
SBJ commemorated the 50th anniversary of Title IX on ourStrictly Businessdiscussion. ACC Network/ESPN‘s Kelly Gramlich hosted the Twitter Spaces panel featuring GOALS CEO and founder Caroline Fitzgerald, Athletes Unlimited VP Cheri Kempf and Voice In Sport CEO and founder Steve Strack.
Among the topics discussed:
- The historical impact of Title IX
- Voice In Sport at Capitol Hill
- Investing in women’s sports
- The future of women’s sports
- Notable trailblazers in women’ sports
Check out the full discussion here. Also read SBJ’s magazine in-depth on the 50th anniversary.
TurnkeyZRG its kept hot streak alive when the NCAA Board of Governors announced today that it would use the search firm to assist in finding the next NCAA president. The firm already is actively leading the search for the Big 12 commissioner, and in recent years, TurnkeyZRG has aided the ACC and Pac–12 commissioner searches as well.
TurnkeyZRG Chair and CEO Len Berna told SBJ’s Michael Smith: “We’re honored to assist the NCAA Board with this important search. It’s not plug-n-play. There is a lot of listening and discovery across a wide range of stakeholders in order to refine and perhaps redefine the needed role in our new world. We’re huge believers in intercollegiate athletics. And were more than willing to put in the extra time & staff to ensure we get this right.”
Exiting NCAA President Mark Emmert can stay as long as June 2023 in the job, but most industry insiders believe a new president will be in place by then.
In conjunction with Title IX‘s 50th anniversary, Phil Knight‘s sport venture company, Division Streetis launching NFTs that will celebrate and benefit female student-athletes from the Univ. of OregonSportTechie’s . notes Tom Friend.
Labeled as “Visions of Flight,” the NFTs were designed by artist Lili Tae in concert with 12 Oregon women athletes, including basketball player Sedona Princewho has been outspoken about athletic equality.
Division Street — through its “Ducks of a Feather” platform — has placed a priority on Web3 and NFTs while trying to create opportunities for Oregon athletes. The concept of the “Visions of Flight” series is to ensure that female athletes at the school can artistically express their voices. The collection goes on sale on June 30, and 75% of the revenue will be equally shared by the participating athletes.
- Jack Paul and Showtime Sports announced that Paul will fight Tommy Fury in the main event of a card at MSG on Aug. 6. SBJ’s Adam Stern notes the event will feature women’s boxing star Amanda Serrano in a co-main event. Serrano is repped by Most Valuable Promotionswhich was co-founded by Paul and his advisor Nakisa Bidarian. The event will air on Showtime PPV.
- Berk Communications has signed Yankees outfielder Aaron Judge for public relations, including supporting his off-field endeavors, community efforts, business ventures, partnerships and overall publicity, reports SBJ’s Liz Mullen.
- One of the first Sports Illustrated Resorts in the US “could be coming to South Mississippi,” notes the Biloxi Sun Herald. The announcement that SI will lend its name to “premium lifestyle resorts and entertainment destinations” came back in February. The first resort, “under construction in the Dominican Republicis scheduled to open this year and the other is proposed for Orlando in 2024.”
- Thaddeus Young, a venture capitalist and power forward for the Raptors, said he and his financial team lean toward the tech sector because that’s where his interests lie. SBJ’s Austin Karp caught up with the 15-year NBA veteran to discuss his capital venture strategy and much more.
- Inter Miami CF named Cafe Bustelo as its official coffee partner under a multiyear deal that will bring a Café Bustelo Ventanita location to DRV PNK StadiumSBJ’s . reports Alex Silverman.